Bay Area Consortium for Water & Wastewater Education (BACWWE)
Drinking water and wastewater treatment plants, distribution systems, and collection systems, and most importantly, the skilled employees who work at these facilities, are essential to protecting public health and the environment. These workers require special knowledge and skills and often work with sophisticated equipment. Their actions can have immediate and severe impacts on the public and environmental health. Water and wastewater careers are sustainable and are marketable anywhere in the country, but there is a great need for talented workers in the Bay Area!
To develop a strong pool of candidates for water/wastewater jobs in the Bay Area, BACWWE provides funding support for education from local, accredited training programs for skills relevant to the industry. Once students are enrolled in an educational program through a local community college, they can apply for reimbursement of tuition, fees, and books for industry-relevant courses through BACWWE!
There are many reasons to work in the water/wastewater industry!
- Rewarding careers that better the world!
- Wide selection of jobs in the public and private sectors
- Jobs in almost every geographic area
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Growth opportunities for motivated individuals
BACWWE’s Partner Programs
Beginning in Fall 2021, BACWWE is providing reimbursements for students enrolled in water and wastewater career courses at the following educational institutions:
- Solano Community College (Fairfield, CA), Water and Wastewater Technology
- Gavilan College (Gilroy, CA), Water Resources Management
- Santa Rosa Junior College (Santa Rosa, CA), Water Resources Technology
How It Works
Here’s how the reimbursement program works:
- Student applies to a partner school, and enrolls in the appropriate program.
- Student enrolls in water/wastewater courses in the partner program.
- Student submits a BACWWE application, and is notified with a conditional award that they are eligible for the reimbursement.
- Student takes course for a letter grade; student completes the course with a “C” or better; submits unofficial transcript and receipts for course tuition/fees and textbooks to BACWWE along with a reimbursement request form.
- BACWWE will review your documents and send you a reimbursement check.
Eligible Courses Being Offered in Fall 2021
- Solano Community College Class Finder
- Solano WATR 100 (Wastewater Treatment 1) – 4 units
- Solano WATR 101 (Chemistry for Water/Wastewater) – 4 units
- Solano WATR 104 (Water Treatment 1) – 3 units
- Solano WATR 106 (Instrumentation and Controls) – 3 units
- Solano WATR 107 (Mathematics of Water/Wastewater Treatment) – 4 units
- Gavilan College Course Finder
- Gavilan WTRM 201 (Intro to Water/Wastewater Technology) – 3 units
- Gavilan WTRM 202 (Beginning Water/Wastewater/Distribution Math) – 3 units
- Gavilan WTRM 204 (Motors and Pumps) – 3 units
- Gavilan WTRM 205 (Water Distribution 1) – 3 units
- Gavilan WTRM 206 (Beginning Water Treatment Plant Operation) – 3 units
- Gavilan WTRM 211 (Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant Operation) – 3 units
- Gavilan WTRM 216 (Advanced Wastewater Collections) – 3 units
- Gavilan WTRM 235 (Pollution Prevention) – 3 units
- Santa Rosa Junior College Schedule of Classes
- Santa Rosa WTR 101 (Intro to Water Careers) – 1 unit
- Santa Rosa WTR 110 (Water Treatment Plant Operator) – 3 units
- Santa Rosa WWTR 112 (Math for Water/Wastewater Technology) – 3 units
- Santa Rosa WWTR 120 (Wastewater Treatment 1) – 3 units
- Santa Rosa WWTR 123 (Instrumentation and Controls) – 3 units
For questions on the BACWWE program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BACWWE Supporting Agencies
BACWWE scholarships are made possible by its Supporting Agencies:
- Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
- Contra Costa Water District
- Delta Diablo
- Diablo Water District
- Dublin San Ramon Services District
- East Bay Municipal Utility District
- City of Fairfield
- Fairfield-Suisun Sewer District
- Ironhouse Sanitary District
- City of Livermore
- Oro Loma Sanitary District
- City of Martinez
- Mt. View Sanitary District
- City of Pittsburg
- Rodeo Sanitary District
- Union Sanitary District
- Veolia America Water, LLC (City of Richmond)
- West County Wastewater District
- Zone 7 Water Agency
- Silicon Valley Clean Water
- City of San Leandro
- Central Marin Sanitary District